Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm a little behind on my posts... so here's a quick recap of what I've been up to the last few days. On Thursday after class, three of my housemates (who are finally done with exams) took me on a little tour of our neighbourhood to show me where to eat, where to party, where to see some beautiful architecture, and where not to venture alone at night. We ended up for a quick drink at this place called the Pink Flamingo; it's completely dedicated to kitsch. Here's a photo of my lovely housemates enjoying some Jupiler:



And just to give you an idea of the bar's interior decor, here's some creative lighting in the form of a Barbie chandelier:



The place also features a wide array of Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Alf memorabilia, as well as portraits of the Virgin Mary and other divine beings.

Friday night was a reprise of Wednesday's birthday celebrations. My three Finn friends and I went out to the Charlatan, the bar where I had my first Belgian beer experience just a week earlier. But before we went out, the Finns prepared a popular Finnish bar shot, fisu. It's made by crushing up Fisherman's Friend candy and dissolving it in vodka. The result is surprisingly tasty: an anise flavoured shot. Our version was not entirely true to the original, since we couldn't find the right flavour of Fisherman's candy. But despite what it looks like, it was quite drinkable:



The Charlatan was a lot of fun on a Friday night, a mix of hip hop and reggae, a full dance floor and a giant disco ball! We had a great time, and the Finnish-Canadian bond just keeping getting stronger and stronger...







The next day, we ventured out for some delicious and very traditional Belgian fare: frites with mayonnaise. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...



I've also posted a few new photos from the Polish party (please check them out below).
xoxox

No comments: